Homeownership Program | Everyone Deserves a Place to Live
Gloucester County Habitat for Humanity provides a unique opportunity for families to build and buy their own homes through our Homeownership Program. Habitat homes are sold partner families who qualify for a monthly housing payment that is no more than 30% of their monthly income. We work closely with our partner families to provide them with the knowledge and tools they need to become successful homeowners and we’re with them every step of the way.
Becoming a homeowner can be life changing. With the support of volunteers, community partners and sponsors we build 1,200 sq. ft. ENERGY STAR compliant Habitat homes. We then offer an affordable below market value and with a zero percent interest mortgage to our partner families. Ultimately, we build much more than houses – the impact of homeownership is profound and lasting. It’s a program that works!
Why Become a Gloucester County Habitat Homeowner?
Think owning a home is too expensive? Think again. Gloucester County Habitat homes are sold at a price based on your family’s size and income level. This helps to ensure that your monthly mortgage payments will be manageable.
You can provide your family with a safe, secure home environment. Better, affordable living conditions lead to improved health and stronger childhood development. Homeownership allows you to build wealth, invest in your future, and pass on a legacy to your children.
As a part of our Homeownership Program, you will learn the skills needed to manage debt and budget for the future.
To Qualify for Homeownership, You Must Meet the Basic Criteria:
- You are in need of housing (current housing is inadequate and/or conditions are substandard)
- You currently do not own a home
- You must have a minimum credit score of 620
- You have not claimed bankruptcy in the last 3 years.
- You’ve had a continuous stable income for the last 12 months
- You must have the ability to pay the no-interest mortgage
- You must be willing to contribute—and complete—the required 350 Sweat Equity hours.
- The collective yearly incomes of family members should fall within the guidelines (click here to view 2022 guidelines)
If you meet all of the basic criteria, please submit the Homeownership Interest form. Gloucester County Habitat will contact you when the pre-applications open up.